What's it All About?

This is a blog about the wonderful man that is Will.

Friday 18 February 2011

One Day in Wellington

Well, my first real encounter with a Kiwi local was with a young Rock n' Roll chap. You know, the type that wear Motorhead t-shirts and tight jeans covered in paint and have an overwhelming desire to lob unwanted chips several metres on to the train track. After only a couple of days here I had to inform him of the train times. He seemed grateful.

The train journey in to Welly was a mixed bag of graffiti strewn buildings and wide rivers leading in to the harbour, which was nice.


Once I got in to town, after a bit of scurrying around I found Ferg's Kayaks with relative ease. This place combines sea kayaking with climbing, so I put my number down for climbing partners, took a few myself and headed off. As I ventured out I was surrounded by a horde of bikini clad amatuer roller-bladers. Due to their lack of skill they very nearly molested me, so I had to leave!

After such an eventful hour I felt that I must find a watering house and purchase some of the local load mouth soup. I also needed to get out of the sun before my brain melted. I opted for Mac's Hop Rocker Pilsner. In my expert opinion it's a fine golden beverage, best drunk in the drinking style of drinking. I then hauled myself for a peruse around the harbour. I started to take some pics of guys diving in to the sea.

Diving dudes
After that a young Moari kid made a loser sign at me, so I decided to leave. Eventually I made it to Cuba Street. Apparently it's the hippest place in town, but it didn't strike me as so. I ended up having a beer with a young Moari guy called Tu. At 36 he already had 7 kids and felt it his duty to impart his knowledge on Kiwi ladies, but whether he's to be believed is another matter.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently I am going to have to comment as "Don Chesapeake". This is not intentional.

    Antony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will, this all sounds really rather brilliant. Good to hear you arrived OK, settling in and ready to, *pace* Elvis, "take care of business". Not sure why avoiding the bikini-clad rollerbladers was your preferred course of action?!

    The weather looks pretty damn good. How hot is it exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been about 27 degrees on some days, so it has been bloody hot. I only avoiding them to save myself from a possible slap in the face or even prosecution if something did go awry.

    Hope all is well in library land, and etc.

    ReplyDelete